It's all in the numbers. Or is it?

I'm not sure why but my mind has led me to blog about numbers.  The more I think about my athletic experiences, the more it becomes evident the focus is primarily on numbers and how to improve them!  I tend to become obsessed about things and this falls right into my obsession trap.  I was primarily a runner for many years and added biking and swimming in the last couple years.  These new sports gave my brain even more numbers to obsess about!  The numbers started out geared toward distance then speed entered the horizon.  Now I think about cadence, heart rate, SWOLF, and the list goes on.  The running goals started low and progressed as they were accomplished:
  1. Run one mile!
  2. Run 2 miles!
  3. Bring on my first 5K race!
  4. It's time to train for a 10K!
  5. How far can I push this thing?  Can I do a half marathon (13.1 miles)?
  6. After a couple 13.1 finishes, I start thinking a marathon (26.2 miles) is possible.
  7. Pikes Peak ascent or Mount Evans climb.  Do these even make sense?
  8. At this point, I am totally crazy and start thinking about running 50K or more.
The progression is different for everyone.  For me, there were many years between numbers 4 and 5.  To be totally honest, I never thought it was possible for my body to run a marathon.  Then it just kinda happened.  I am still amazed at this accomplishment!  Right now I'm somewhere around number 7 but constantly think about figuring out how to qualify for Boston or run up a mountain.

My swimming progression look a similar trail.  My precious wife taught me to swim about 18 months ago and the progression took a path something like this:
  1. Swim a length of the pool without stopping.
  2. Swim a lap.
  3. Next is 2, 3, 4, 5 ... laps.
  4. Try out a wetsuit and learn how to open water swim.
  5. I can swim 1/2 mile now, it must be time to try a sprint triathlon!
  6. Next up is an Olympic triathlon and the 1 mile swim.
  7. Going from 1 mile to 1.2 miles isn't a big deal, bring on the Half Ironman distance! 
  8. Next, I totally lose my mind and start to consider the Ironman distance and it's 2.4 mile swim.
My next goal is number 6.  I hope to accomplish the Olympic distance this year.  Then again, I have to admit that I have considered entering a 2 mile swim race this year. Personally I don't see myself getting to numbers 7 or 8, but, stranger things have happened!

 My biking progression took a very similar route:
  1. Get on the bike and ride.
  2. Ride 10, 15, or 20 miles.  Somewhere around here we learn the advantages of biking shorts!
  3. Ride a mountain bike in a sprint triathlon.  You feel really slow doing this!
  4. Buy a road bike so you don't feel so slow in your next sprint triathlon.
  5. Learn how to use bike clips along with the guarantee of falling over once or twice.
  6. Ride 25, 30, or even 40 miles.
  7. Ride up really steep hills like Lookout or Flagstaff mountains. 
  8. Enter a metric century race (100K).
  9. Start thinking about the MS150, Ride the Rockies, Copper triangle, or Triple bypass rides.
  10. Take on the century ride (100 miles).  Wow that's a long way!
  11. Actually enter one of the crazy races in step 9.
  12. Bike across Iowa or go to Europe on a bike trip.
Julie and I are registered for the Tour de Cure 100 mile ride this year.  That puts me somewhere around number 10.  We have friends encouraging us to do the rides in number 11.  Holy cow, those are some long tough bike rides!

Now that we've discussed distance, does anyone ever feel they are fast enough?   My average running pace is around 9 minutes per mile.  I think my running pace is really slow.  Some people would slap me for thinking this is slow!  I really want to qualify for Boston and my age group requirement is a 3:40 marathon time.  Running at a pace of  8:23 per mile for 26.2 miles would be necessary to accomplish this.  Considering my one attempt at 26.2 was about 5 hours, there are incredible hurdles to overcome.  But it's all in the numbers, or is it?

Another dream of mine is to place (3rd or better) in my age group at any race.  Last year I came close (4th out of 7 people) at the My Way or The Tri Way sprint triathlon.  Crazy me thought I was getting faster, and if I could improve my numbers (pace) just a little bit, then placing would be possible.  I worked hard to improve, but, still couldn't keep up with some of the speed demons out there.  Now I am not so sure it is possible to do this. Hey it's all in the numbers, isn't it?

I've worked on changing my running form and am trying to run at a cadence of 180 steps per minute.  Recently, in my new Newton 's (everyone says they will make me faster),  I ran a 7:43 mile and averaged an 8 minute pace for 3 miles.  Awesome progress but at a cost.  Now my knees are sore and I need to take some time off.  I'm afraid to take time off since my progress is going so well.  Should I hire a coach?  Should I keep pushing for a faster pace?  Am I crazy?  If I could only fix my running form, surely that would mean a faster time.  After all, it's all in the numbers, isn't it.

The point, I think, is that at some point it isn't about the numbers.  At some point, it should be more about having fun, enjoying the experiences, meeting new people, and being satisfied with the athlete we are.  This doesn't mean we aren't trying to improve.  It just means we keep mostly focused on the important things and not obsess on improving.  This is constantly a challenge for me. 

Comments

  1. Great post. My numbers topped out at a marathon for a run, 1.2M open water swim, MS150. For speed I want a 24 minute 5K, 10 minute 500 yard swim, average 16 mph for a 10+ mile time trial on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Your numbers are aggressive as well. Hopefully we get there someday and enjoy doing it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

2018 totals and 2019 goals