23 Nov 2017 - Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon

Proud finisher of state number 18!

Today I feel really thankful, not only because of the Thanksgiving holiday but because I was able to run 13.1 miles in Georgia and check state number 18 off!  I've suffered from knee tendinitis and bursitis lately and had serious doubts about running this distance. I don't know how many more of these half marathons I can do but I'm not quitting since my 50 state goal is not complete yet.




Race morning we über'd to Georgia State Stadium (previously Turner field) arriving around 6am. It was a little chilly (41 degrees) to stand around but perfect running weather.  From registration to the finish area, this race was done right. They had an area set up with heaters for the runners to hang out in before the race. There were some vendors giving out freebies and plenty of porta potties. Along the course there were more cops and volunteers than I have seem at any other race.  Around 715am we lined up in our running waves and were treated to the National anthem!  Kinda choked me up to see nobody kneeling and most people with hats removed and hand over their heart.  I love this country and will always respect the anthem and appreciate those that have served.


At the start.


Closest I will ever get to the Olympics!

I was in the "B" (for Bob of course!) wave and we started right on time at 733am.  I started near the 2 hour pacer and was hoping I was up for the task. I was warned this was a tough hilly course but had no idea what I was about to face.  One of the early highlights was running under the Olympic Rings.   The closest I will ever be to the Olympics!  We ran by several other Atlanta landmarks but I really didn't notice since my focus was mostly on running.

All excited because I saw Julie at mile 9..

The race was a bit congested in the first half but I was able to work my way around people when needed. The first 5 miles seemed really easy and I stayed in front of the 2 hour pace. I was thinking my time would be good and this course isn't bad at all and then the hills came. Once they arrived they didn't stop.  There were some downhills mixed in but they were the minority. My pace slowed down in mile 6-11 but I still had hopes of finishing under 2 hours.  I pushed through the hills and did really good until about mile 12.  At this point the tendinitis was hurting and slowed me down. This is also the point the 2 hour pacer blew by me. I tried to hang with him but it just wasn't happening.  Mile 13 was pretty uncomfortable but I kept telling myself to 'suck it up' and not to leave anything on the course.

I did my best and ended up finishing in 2:02:59.  I am thrilled with this time since this race had 718 feet of elevation gain.  I definitely did not train for this many hills especially on the back half of the run.

Excited at the finish line...

So excited I broke into a dance...



Yeah I'm bad!!

Happy to be finished!

Sporting my free finishers jacket..

What I liked about the race:
well organized, great weather, finishers medal, finishing state number 18 and the long sleeve technical race shirt with hoodie.

Where we stayed:
Westin Peachtree Plaza in downtown Atlanta.  Terrific high end hotel with a revolving restaurant and great views on the top floor.  In the picture from the wheel below it is the tallest building in the skyline.

What we enjoyed in downtown Atlanta:  

Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint

Jambalaya and Ceaser salad, soul food, yum!



World of Coca-cola

Getting ready for the coke tour.

Cheers!


Skyview Atlanta

Wind and the Wheel!



All aboard!


View from the wheel.



By the numbers (from Athlinks):

  • Finish time:    2:02:59  (9:24 pace)
  • Overall:          2330 out of 6444 finishers (Top 36%)
  •  Male:             1531 out of 3172 finishers (Top 48%)
  • Men 55-59:    100 out of 262 finishers     (Top 38%)
  • Men 50+:       251 out of 810 finishers     (Top 30%)
  • Men 40+:       631 out of 1642 finishers   (Top 38%)



Strava details of the run:



What's next for me?

January 2018 - Aramco Houston Half Marathon

Comments

  1. Congrats on another good half!
    If you haven't done Pennsylvania yet I recommend the ERC Presque Ilse half at Erie, PA
    The Presque Ilse Pennisula is beautiful. The course is Pancake flat. The only downside it could be very hot and humid in July

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Will definitely consider that one when I get ready for Pennsylvania,

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

15 September 2019 - Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City NJ