My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

2016 was a decent year for this runner/triathlete.  I accomplished most of my goals, experienced a few new things, and ran/bike/swam a total of 2,401 miles.  

I started the year off in February with the Hilton Head Island Half Marathon in South Carolina.  I ran a second Half Marathon in April at the Kentucky Derby Half Marathon in Louisville Kentucky.  These two races make 14 states that I have completed at least a half marathon in.  Only 36 states left to go!!

 After this my focus went to triathlons and never returned to half marathons.  Over the summer, I completed 2 Sprint triathlons and 3 Olympic triathlons:
  • June - Lookout Mountain Sprint Triathlon (very tough course on top of Lookout Mountain)
  •            Boulder Sunrise Sprint Triathlon  (1st place in my age group out of 12 finishers!)
  • July - TriBoulder Olympic Triathlon
  • Aug - USAT Nationals Olympic Distance Triathlon  (first race without the wetsuit!)
  •            Boulder Sunset Olympic Distance Triathlon.
I also participated in 4 Boulder Stroke and Strides.  The Stroke and Strides consisted of a 750 meter (1/2 mile) or 1500 meter (1 mile) swim and a 5K run.  These were mostly training bricks for USAT Nationals.  I knew the swim at USAT Nationals would not allow swimsuits so I needed to practice!

My total miles run last year were 858 miles.  The highlights included running in 4 different countries (US, UK, France and Belgium), completing the 2 half marathons and running on the infield of Churchill Downs.  I am also excited that my running shoes are now lasting more than 400 miles.This is due to a change in running form which is obviously saving me money.

Biking went decent in 2016. I rode a total of 1467 miles. The only organized ride I did was the Colorado Tour de Cure metric century (62 miles).  I am always up for helping Diabetes since it has directly affected a few of my family members. The other fun fact is Julie and I did at least one ride in every month last year.  This is especially incredible since she had knee replacement in October and we were still able to ride in November and December!

Swimming went good in 2016.  I swam a total of 76 miles last year.  I am especially proud of qualifying for and competing in the USAT Nationals (Olympic distance) last year.  This included a 1 mile swim without the wetsuit.  This was my first triathlon competition swim without the wetsuit.  My swim was slow but it was a new thing for me.

My initial plans for 2017 are
  • 5 half marathons.  Alabama (Jan), Virginia (Mar), and New Hampshire (May) are already booked.
  • 3 Sprint Triathlons.  Last year taught me I don't enjoy the triathlons longer than the sprint distance.
  • Tour de Cure bike ride
  • Focus more on enjoying the experience than on achieving a specific time!

Comments

  1. Congrats on your accomplishments last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great season and some big mileage last year. Good luck with your half marathons. When is the trip to Alabama?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Big Beach Half marathon is Jan 29th.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

2018 totals and 2019 goals