23 June 2018 - Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon

Wow, I sure am a bit slow writing up the Loveland Lake to Lake race report!  I really enjoyed this race.  Loveland High School is a perfect race venue, the race was challenging and well organized and also had the best after race food.   

This was my first Olympic distance triathlon of 2018. 1500 meter swim (just under a mile), 30 mile bike and 10k (6.2 miles) run.  I met some of my goals including to enjoy the experience. Thanks to my better half (Julie Cole) for taking the photos and supporting me on my crazy adventures. 



Since Loveland Colorado is a little over an hour drive time, we decided to spend the night at a hotel there.  It was nice being able to sleep in a little later before heading over to the race venue.  Transition opened at 5am and that is about the time we arrived.  I found a primo spot in transition, close to the bike exit and among the intense athletes, and proceeded to setup my equipment.





 Once transition was setup, I put my wetsuit on and we headed down to the water.  The water was perfectly still and there would be no sun in my eyes today (yippee!).  The entire swim was designed to prevent this by the race folks.  One less thing to worry about!  I warmed up in the water for about 10 minutes and then took two two saltstick capsules and waited for my wave to start.  We started shortly after 630am.  The swim went well for me.  There was the usual kicking and slapping each other but overall I swam fairly straight and felt positive about my performance.  My goal was to complete the swim in 35 minutes.  I was out of the water in about 33 minutes and with the 2 minute run to transition, I was right on target.


Transition 1 went well  as I was able to get out of the wetsuit and onto the bike in 2:14.  My goal was two minutes so I was satisfied with this.


The first half of the bike course was tough.  It contained a fair amount of climbing.  Roughly about 15 miles of uphill and then 15 miles of downhill and rollers.  The chart below shows my speed for each section.  Makes it quite easy to spot the parts that were hilly and the parts that weren't.  Specifically mile 5-14 were slow and hilly for me.  This reveals I need to work on getting better at climbing.  Overall I averaged 17.2 mph and there was about 1741 ft of climbing over 30 miles.  I did the best I could on this bike course and was a bit slower than I hoped but overall I have no complaints.  On the bike I drank a bottle of "The Right Stuff" and a bottle of my Infinit bike formula.

Miles   0-2:    15.2 mph<----uphill               
            2-5:    20.8 mph<----flat and downhill               
          5-10:    13.8 mph <---uphill
         10-14:   12.6 mph <---uphill                     
         14-15    31.8 mph <---downhill
         15-16    10.3 mph <---uphill                         
         16-20    24.8 mph <---downhill                       
         20-25    19.2 mph <---rollers                       
         25-30    21.4 mph <---rollers and downhill



Transition 2 went OK.  My hope was to get off the bike and into my run gear and out of transition in 1 minute.  It took 1:42 so I was a bit slower than anticipated.  Not sure why other than the bike ride was tough.



The Run. (Yuck!)  What can I say other than the run was horrible for me.  The sun was beating down on me, I was tired, I overheated and ended up walking several times.  Oh and did I mention my running form went away as well.  Surprise surprise..  Running has been a real challenge for me lately especially in the hot sun.  My run was about 7 minutes slower than I hoped.  I was disappointed. 


The fun parts were getting passed by some people from church (Adam and Jessi Wiggins) that I know and running with some 71 year old dude for a bit.  We actually leap-frogged each other on the bike ride and some on the run before I fizzled out.  He was an inspiration to me.  I can only hope at 71 to still be doing triathlon.  Also I passed a lady with an artificial leg.  To be able to swim, bike and run with an artificial leg must be so tough.  I have no room to complain about the heat but I still did.

On the run, I drank infinit run blend and ate some orange Clif chews.



Overall I really enjoyed this triathlon and would do it again.  There was some tough competition in my age group so I was one of the slower folks.  I will try to learn from the experience and improve before my big race in Cleveland.

My times:
Overall:  3:24:36   8/10 in AG, 132/174 Men, and 193/307 Overall
   Swim:    35:31
        T1:      2:14
     Bike: 1:43:01
        T2:      1:42
      Run: 1:02:07

What's next for me:
7/14 - Triple Bypass  (120 miles 10,000 feet of climbing over 3 mountain passes) bike ride
8/11 - USAT Age Group Nationals (Olympic distance) in Cleveland Ohio
8/19 - Skinny Raven half marathon in Anchorage Alaska



















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

March 22, 2015 - Mercer Island Half Marathon