2 June 2018 - Colorado Sprint Triathlon

Image may contain: Bob Cole, standing and outdoor



On Saturday 2 June, I completed my first triathlon of 2018, the Colorado Sprint Triathlon at Boulder Reservoir.   Overall the triathlon went well but as usual I am left with areas of dis-satisfaction and thoughts of how to improve.  

My friend, Jeff Nielsen and I rode together to this event and arrived early enough to get a good transition spot.  The weather was perfect (low 60s) other than a fair amount of wind on the bike.  

Transition.  I selected a spot near the bike exit.  This limits the amount of running in bike shoes and time pushing the bike.  Of course this makes the swim-to-bike and bike-to-run slightly longer but I think the logic is good.

Image may contain: one or more people, bicycle and outdoor


Pre-race.  With transition already setup, I picked up my timing chip, got body marked, and stood in line for the porta-potties.  Also took the time to familiarize myself with how to get to my transition spot from the water and when coming in from the bike ride.

Once the open water warm-up area opened, I lubed up and put the wetsuit on and headed to the water.  After a tough swim about a week ago, I remembered this time to pull the wetsuit up as high as possible on my legs and in on my arms.  Failure to do this means more pressure on my chest which is a good way to cause panic in the open water! 

The water was 66 degrees so I took as much time as possible to acclimate to the water and get my heart-rate up.  Before getting in the water, I took a couple puffs of my inhaler and also took a saltstick electrolyte tablet.  I was ready to go!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, shoes, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

Swim
There were about 80 people in my swim wave.  We started in the water after they did a countdown and said go.  I chose a position inside attempting to be away from the crazy folks.  My strategy was to start out easy and increase speed as I went.  Unfortunately I didn't swim very straight.  Not sure how much time that cost me.  I had trouble seeing the buoys (sun in my eyes and wore the wrong goggles) so sighted fairly often (every 2-4 strokes) to try and keep people on front of me.  Probably not a good strategy as people were everywhere and at times we were crawling over each other!  A couple times I was able to draft for a short period but not sure that helped.  After we turned right at the second buoy I went too wide left before correcting.  I'm sure this cost me more time.  On the way back I felt a little better and felt I got into a rhythm but was very disappointed in my swim time. My better swim efforts in the past were closer to 16 minutes and this time I did 19 minutes.  Yuck...

T1
(time was 2.10)  I was satisfied with this.  With the time to run to my spot, get out of the wetsuit and into the bike gear and deal with congestion at the bike exit, not sure I could have reduced this much.

Bike
(time was 53:43) - Coming out of the reservoir was congested and my legs felt a little heavy but I pushed through and actually had my best time ever on the 1st 5 miles.  This is significant since it was a slightly uphill grind.  I even passed a few triathlon bikes with fancy wheels!  Second 5 miles also went well as I was only about 10 seconds slower than my best times.  Miles 10-15 are where I didn't do as well.  I was 2 minutes slower that my best times.  There was a headwind but I don't think that mattered too much.  It appears I lost the time on the uphill on 63rd and on the diagonal.  I do remember it being tough but that's a bunch of time to lose. I finished strong and actually had my fastest time on the final 1.2 mile stretch into the res.  Overall I felt my bike was my strongest event for the day and was satisfied.
bike on Strava -   https://www.strava.com/activities/1612444951

T2
(time was 1:40) - Satisfied.  Could probably have reduced 10 seconds or so but overall OK.

Image may contain: bicycle, sky and outdoor

Run
(time was 28:07) - I felt ok on the run.  Breathing was OK and legs were tired but didn't need to stop.  I purposely did not look at my watch as I just wanted to run a pace that I felt I could maintain.  Tried to not push too hard in the first part so I could finish strong. Was slightly disappointed in my run time but satisfied that I ran the whole way and finished strong. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing, shoes and outdoor

Nutrition
On the way to the reservoir, I drank a cup of coffee.  Before the swim I took one saltstick tablet.  On the bike I drank a one hour bottle of infinit run blend.  In T2, I took one saltstick tablet.  On the run I also drank a one hour bottle of infinit run blend.  The only time I lacked energy was in the later part of the bike.  My coach thinks I need to eat something before the race next time.

Overall my time was 1:44:48.  About 5 minutes off my best time on this course but slightly better than all other times.  I was 5/9 in my age group.  I have to say overall I feel slightly disappointed as I was hoping with all the training I've been doing to have been closer to 1:40.  That said I enjoyed the event and will learn from it to try and improve myself before my next triathlon.

What's next for me:
6/16 - Denver Century Ride (100 miles)
6/23 - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon
7/14 - Triple Bypass  (120 miles - 10,000 feet of climbing)
8/11 - USAT Age Group Nationals (Olympic distance) - Cleveland Ohio
8/19 - Skinny Raven Half Marathon - Anchorage Alaska

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I was way of my best time on this course also.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

March 22, 2015 - Mercer Island Half Marathon