2017 totals and 2018 goals

31 December 2017

As  look back over my goals for 2017, I am quite pleased.  I accomplished most of my goals, experienced a few new things, and ran/bike/swam a total of 2,569 miles.  This was over 100 miles more than last year! 

In spite of battling knee tendinitis and bursitis, I completed 4 half marathons in 2017 and ran 126 times (106 hours) for a total distance of 622 miles.  I received 3 rather painful knee shots and worked really hard on improving my running form to hopefully cure the knee pain. The verdict is still out. 

I started the year off in January with the Big Beach Half Marathon in Gulf Shores Alabama.  Next was the rather rainy Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach Virginia in March.  Third was the Wallis Sands Half marathon in Rye NH in May.  My final Half Marathon was on Thanksgiving day in Atlanta Georgia.  These four races make 18 states that I have completed at least a half marathon in.  Only 32 states left to go!!

During the summer months my focus went to triathlons.  I completed 3 Sprint triathlons and 1 Boulder Stroke and Stride.  I also qualified for USAT age group nationals for the 3rd year in a row.  This is no small accomplishment as some better athletes than me rarely qualify.  This also surprised me as it came totally unexpectedly at my final triathlon of the season: 
  • June - Boulder Sunrise Sprint Triathlon  
  • July  - Evergreen Sprint Triathlon  (tough triathlon at altitude)
  • Sep  - Littlefoot Sprint Triathlon  (won first place in my age group and qualified for AG nationals!)
Biking went great in 2017. I spent 140 hours in the saddle on 76 rides for a total of 1906 miles. My  only organized ride was the Copper Triangle.   This challenging ride was 80 miles, over 3 mountain passes with a total elevation gain of 6000 feet.  This was a fun ride that Julie and I accomplished together.  We were quite proud of this accomplishment!  

Swimming went about as good as swimming can go for me in 2017.  I swam 72 times for a total 27 hours and 41.5 miles last year.  


My plans for 2018 are:

For 2018 I am most excited about my new coach.  Bob Seebohar from eNRG performance will be helping me with my nutrition as well as helping me improve in running and triathlon.  I've never officially had a coach so this is pretty exciting.  Mostly because I get to learn from a famous coach with so much knowledge and experience.  

  • 4 half marathons.  Houston Texas in January is the only one currently booked.
  • 3-4 Triathlons (Sprint or Olympic) including age group nationals in Cleveland Ohio.  I'm going back to see if I can improve on my dreadful finish time from 2 years ago
  • Triple bypass bike ride  (120 miles and 10,000 feet of elevation gain over 3 mountains)
  • Focus on enjoying the experiences!

Comments

  1. Awesome year Bob! Hope to get a few rides with you in 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I hope to ride with you also this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

March 22, 2015 - Mercer Island Half Marathon