310 miles bringing 2015 to a close

2015 was a mostly good year for this runner.  I started the year off well with the Mississippi Blues Half Marathon in Jackson Mississippi.  I ran a second Half Marathon in March in Mercer Island Washington.  Then things went bad.  My second metatarsal in my left foot broke during the race and I ended up shutting down running for about 3 months.  Six of the weeks were in a boot.  That's the bad news.  The good news is the bone has healed and going into 2016 I'm feeling good about my running.

With the two half marathons in 2015 I have now completed a half marathon (or full) in 12 different states. Last year I also completed 2 sprints Triathlons; TriBoulder and My Way or the Tri Way.  At My Way or The Tri Way, I won my age group for the first time. I didn't feel it was my best performance but finishing first place out eleven 55-59 year old dudes in my age group was pretty cool. I received a decorative bowl for my efforts. It sits amongst all the finisher medals I have earned. 

My total miles run last year were 679 miles. Down considerably from 2014 but still a bunch of miles. Probably the biggest running thrill for the year was getting 310 miles out of a pair of running shoes. Previously the heel of my shoes was completely worn down after about 200 miles. The extra miles in the shoes can be attributed to the running style changes I learned from Douglas Wisoff. I am no longer a heavy heal striker. Looking at the wear on the bottom of my shoes my style is now more mid foot striking. I'm excited to see how many miles I get this year with my shoes. 

Biking also went decent in 2015. I rode a total of 672 miles. Much less than 2014 but still respectable. The only organized ride I did was the Southern Colorado Tour de Cure. I am always up for helping Diabetes since it has directly affected a few of my family members. This was a short 30 mile ride but my wife and I really enjoyed it. 

My initial plans for 2016 are
4 half marathons.  Hilton Head SC is already booked for February
3 Triathlons. I am considering doing at least one Olympic and 2 sprint distance Triathlons. 
USAT Sprint or Olympic distance Nationals. I qualified and was invited so am thinking about it!


Comments

  1. Man, besides the foot injury, what a great year for you. First place in your age group AND Olympic distance nationals?! I had no idea, that is so awesome. Congrats! I hope you do it...Nebraska isn't too far away.

    I can't believe you got that many miles under your belt last year, considering your foot injury. Good luck in Hilton Head!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

15 September 2019 - Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City NJ