One week to TriBoulder

Ready or not, my first 2015 Triathlon is coming on fast.  I'm excited for the event but nervous too.  I don't expect to win anything but want to do well.  I've been training hard so just need to focus this week on getting ready.  Here's a recap of my training for the week:

Running:  Completed 4 runs total.  Three of the runs were 5K in distance the other was 1 mile and part of a brick.  My pace has improved and all but one of my runs were about 9:45 pace.  My lower back felt better and I was able to push a little harder.  The foot is still doing OK.  The breathing is still not easy and hopefully will improve as I push harder.  This week I plan to run 5K on Monday with the Arvada Tri Club at Roadrunner Sports.  On Wednesday I plan to do a speed 5K run and see if I can get below 9:30 pace.  I may do a 2 mile easy run on Friday but not sure since I also need to taper for the triathlon on Sunday.

Biking:  2 rides completed.  16 mile training ride went well.  Averaged 57 on the cadence and 15.8 miles per hour.  Neither are as fast as I'd like to be but definitely seeing improvement.  Also did a two hour ride with Julie on Saturday.  We did 27.5 miles and about 1550 feet of climbing.  My legs are starting to feel a little stronger.  I was able to stand up and pedal on some of the tough hills and also power pedal in the aero position.  One gauge for strength and endurance is Candelas hill.  My pace is one minute slower than last year before TriBoulder.  This week I plan to ride up Lookout mountain with one of my friends on Tuesday and then perhaps ride the TriBoulder bike course on Thursday.  This will be my first ride up Lookout without Julie so it will be interesting to see how I do.

Swimming:  3 swims completed.  My speed swim went well.  I swam 820 years at a 1:59/100 yards pace.  I swam 50 meter repeats with about a 60 second break in between each.  I was sucking wind but was happy since I had also completed a bike and run on the same day.  I did 2 open water swims at Bear Creek park.  It felt good to swim in the wetsuit.  My pace is slow and but I have no doubt about completing the distance.  The one bummer was my favorite goggles started leaking on one of the swims.  Guess it's time to get some new goggles!  My plan for this week is one speed swim and one easy swim.

I have decided to lower my expectations for the race.  I don't want to set myself up to fail and am not in very good shape.  Here are my goals for the race:

Swim:  19:00
 T1:  2:30
Bike: 60 minutes
T2: 1.30
Run: 30 minutes
Total: 1:53:00

I also plan to study swimming tips about sighting, turns at the buoys, and getting out of the water and wetsuit.  In addition I plan to study transition.  Mostly I don't want to make any silly mistakes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

15 September 2019 - Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City NJ