A Long Hard Slow 2 mile run

Hooray,  I ran two miles last Tuesday!

I know.  It seems comical.  Bob the Runner bragging about a two mile run.  What's up with that?

I can also tell you it was the toughest two mile run in my memory and  I averaged 10.49 per mile.  It was a nice casual run but I wasn't dogging it.  I was disappointed in my slowness but also at the same time happy that I could run the distance.  The run started off easy enough but started to get really hard after about a mile.  My hip started tightening up, breathing was tough and it really wasn't fun...  :-(

Wait...I like running.  Where did the fun go?   Unfortunately I think the lack of taking care of my body during my foot injury is reaping some results and not in a good way.  British beer, fish and chips, British pie, potato chips, cheese, bacon, and you get the picture!  Eating and drinking was fun but the extra 20 pounds makes running much tougher.  The good news is the foot did fine.  It doesn't feel as good as before the injury but also didn't hurt like the last time I tried to run on it.  Overall I think this is good news.

I really believe I will get over this hurdle and get back to the love of running but it's not gonna be easy and it's not gonna happen overnight.  For me the best way to kick my butt into gear is to set a goal.  Goals need to be SMART.  Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely.  So my SMART goal is to participate in and finish the "My Way or The Tri Way' sprint triathlon on August 30th.   This should be fun because I think there will be a few others from the Arvada Triathlon Club participating also.  My inclination is to set a time goal of under 1:30 but that will depend on how my training goes over the next 6 or so weeks.  If I were to set the time goal, I may fail the Attainable part of setting a SMART goal.

My plan for this week is to figure out where I am so I can determine how to get to my goal.  For each discipline, here is my goal for the week:

  • Running:  Attempt 3 runs of 2-3 miles each.  If I can do the 3 mile distance then interject some short speed bursts and try and finish with negative splits.  I'm hoping to get my runs below 10 minute miles but that may be unrealistic at this time.
  • Biking:  2 short bike rides this week where I push myself and one casual long ride with Julie.  Try and get my cadence average up above 50.  At least one ride will include Candelas Hill and rolling hills.  Work on the aero position and going fast!
  • Swimming:  Get back in the pool at least 2 times this week.  I haven't swam for over 2 weeks now.  One swim session will be endurance, the other will be speed centric.  Speed and swimming for me don't usually go together but here I go.
 The other area I need to get back into is strength training.  I doubt there will be any this week.

Comments

  1. Glad to hear the foot is doing better. I am planning on the My Way or the Tri Way sprint also. I have still been doing CrossFit, but my endurance mileage has suffered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing you there Steve! We will both probably suffer from lack of endurance. It sure if tough to get it back once you lose it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

15 September 2019 - Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City NJ