Update on The Foot

On Friday, May 29,  after 4 more weeks (6 total) in the boot the Dr said I could take it off.  The X-ray seemed to show enough healing to warrant his decision.  He said no running for another 3 weeks but biking and swimming are permissible.  In my mind I jumped for joy!  It would have hurt if I really jumped.  I didn't bring a shoe with me to the Dr appointment so had to wear the boot home.

My first destination after removing the boot was Roadrunner sports (my favorite running store).  I wanted to get a pair of comfortable cushy running shoes for everyday wear.  I know..."Dr says no running" and I won't.  I ended up choosing a pair of Hoka One One Clifton's.  The shoes felt very comfortable from the time I put them on.  They fit well and were easy to walk in.  It was kinda like walking on pillows under my forefoot and mid-foot.  The only concern with the shoes was the heel drop-off.  The shoes are rounded up at the heel to support heel strikers.  It was a little weird walking without the boot but that was easy to get over!

Julie and I went to Holyoke Colorado on the June 29th to watch Scott race his sprint car.  I was so happy to be wearing normal shoes.  The foot did pretty well but I knew after walking around a bit the foot was still not right.  The pain came back in the same spot as the break.  I was frustrated and disappointed but decided to blame it on the fact that I hadn't used the muscles, tendons, and ligaments for over a month and needed to get them back in shape.  Pretty sure I was fooling myself but time will tell.

On Sunday Julie and I went on a 30 mile bike ride.  It felt so good to be exercising!  The foot hurt a little during the ride but my weak hamstrings and quads screamed much louder.  I felt fine for about 20 miles then had a rough time keeping up with my wife.  We had a terrific ride seeing lots of open spaces in the country.  Country landscapes are my favorite.  You can see for miles and miles and see no people or houses.  Only fields with some cows.  Of course I had to moo at the cows!  It was hilarious.  I moo and all the cows in the field start running towards us.  There had to be a hundred or so cows running towards us.  If the fence wasn't there we probably would have been trampled!  I must have either said something romantic or derogatory in moo language.  

The foot is still swelling up some and hurting.  Not horrible but enough to cause concern. I'm gonna continue to use it and see how it feels in another 2 weeks.  If it still hurts, a return to the foot Dr will probably be in order.  I have no idea what is next but wearing the boot is not an option.  I really don't think it helped after the first two weeks when the swelling went down.  Hopefully this isn't another pain that I will have to live with if I want to exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

2018 totals and 2019 goals