First Blog post ever!

I'm Bob from Arvada Colorado and I like to run.  The first time I ran, when not required, was after leaving the Air Force in 1981.  My buddy Mike Lowry suggested we run and so we did.  I'm not really sure why we ran back then or how far we ran but it was never about running races.  Thinking back, the first race I ran was in 1994.  I did a couple 5K's that year and then ran the Bolder Boulder 10K.  My time was 55:55.  Some folks I worked with were into running and exposed me to running races.  Once I ran the Bolder Boulder I was hooked.  For many years I couldn't get beyond 10K without getting injured.  Then in 2011 I ran my first half Marathon, the Rock and Roll Denver Half Marathon.  I was hoping to finish in under 2 hours but ended up finishing in 2:06:19.  OK, now I was mad and was not going to settle until I ran a half in under 2 hours.  I was challenged to say the least.

 In 2012, I kept running but hadn't scheduled another half marathon when my wife suggested we go to Arizona in January 2013 and run the Rock and Roll Arizona Half Marathon.  My wife hated running and wanted to run the race so I immediately agreed and plans were made.  In this race I finished in 2:02:16.  So close but still not under 2 hours.  I was not satisfied and at this point even more determined to get under 2 hours.  It was also around this time the decision was made to run a half or full marathon in every state.  A lofty goal for a 54 year old but as long as my body holds up, I will do it.

Next up in June 2013 was the Rock and Roll San Diego half marathon.  After driving the course the day before, I was intimidated and thought there was no way my time would be under 2 hours.  Lesson learned as I finished in 1:55:20!  I blew away the under 2 hour goal.  Next thought was "hey Bob, if you can do this then you can also run a Marathon".  Along the same lines; "Maybe I could even qualify for Boston some Day".  Am I crazy and obsessed with running?  You betcha, but I also enjoy running.  The endorphins, the challenges, the serenity, the accomplishments.  They all keep me going!

In November 2013, I finished state #4 by running the Rock and Roll Las Vegas half Marathon in 1:58:36.  I didn't mention this yet but state #5 was booked and I was crazily training for my first full Marathon.  The Las Vegas race proved to me that I was right on track and a 4 hour marathon was a good possibility.  Did I mention this race was in Maui?  Yes,  the Maui Oceanfront Marathon in January 2014.  I won't give the gory details but YES I am a marathon man!  I finished 26.2 miles but my time was really slow 5:03:47.  Yes I will do another Marathon and YES this will not be my final Marathon PR!  Next up is the Daytona half Marathon this coming Sunday 2/16/2014.  A review will follow shortly...

Comments

  1. Ok, I guess you can be an obsessed runner, but you have to take me to the coolest places you are running . . . Maui, San Diego, Fargo . . . Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

March 22, 2015 - Mercer Island Half Marathon