Feb 16, 2014 - Daytona Beach Half Marathon. Daytona Beach Florida.

The Daytona Beach Half Marathon was a real thrill for me!  Not only did I PR (1:55:06) but my family was also there to celebrate with me which made it extra special.  My Dad, brother, and sister-in-law lapped the track (2.5 miles) and my cousins Ken and Karen Woellert walked the half marathon.  Everyone finished under the required time limits so we all had reason to celebrate!  

Race morning started at 4am as the alarm clock yelled for me to get up.  I left my parents house about 430am and headed toward the race track.  Traffic was minimal and I arrived at gate 40 of the race track about 450am.  It was dark out and I was tired and anxious until driving through a tunnel and onto the infield of the race track.  I'm not a NASCAR fan but seeing the motor homes, the race track, the stands and realizing I was on the infield of the Daytona 500 race track kinda took my breath away.  I instantly became very excited and couldn't wait to park the car and look around.

Being an early bird, I found a parking spot real close to the start line.  I spent the next half hour or so walking around and checking out the race track.  I was intrigued at how steep the race track is.  I climbed up and tried to stand at the top and found it rather difficult.  I captured a couple selfies and had someone take my picture to commemorate the moment.  Even though it was dark outside there was plenty of lights around the track.  The weather was a chilly 43 degrees but I was prepared other than needing some gloves.

It's a selfie at the Daytona 500 race track!

Here are pictures of the start and finish lines before the fireworks signaled for us to start running.  Notice how steep the race track is!

Start line for Daytona Half Marathon.
Finish line for Daytona Half Marathon.

The start line was kinda organized by expected minute per mile pace.  Emphasis is on the word "kinda" because I started in the 9 minute per mile pace and it was rough for the first mile or so getting around people.  Perhaps I should have started in the 8 minute per mile group. We ran on the lower part of the track which was flat and smooth.  It was fun to see the track and to imagine what the stands would be like if they were full of cheering fans.  There were no fans so it was pretty quiet running on the track but really fun! 

After exiting the track, I was warming up and threw away my hoodie. We exited through a tunnel and turned onto International Speedway Blvd and ran for about 3 miles then faced the only hill on the course.  It was steep but pretty easy as the views of the river helped erase the fact that we were going up hill.  Also once at the top,  the downhill was wonderful for making up time.  Coming down the hill provided a breath of fresh air as we got our first views of the ocean.  As we ran towards the ocean I got more excited about running on the beach.  Running on the beach was one of my favorite parts of the race.  We ran on a red mat (carpet) at first and then on the sand.  The sun was just coming up over the ocean which made for spectacular views and there was a DJ playing music and encouraging us.  Running on the sand wasn't tough at all since the sand was pretty compressed.

After the beach, it was time to head back to the track.  I had maintained a decent pace so far and knew there was potential for a PR.  I didn't want to get my hopes up yet but it was in the back of my mind.  The course back to the track was mostly the same (including bridge climb and descent) except for about 1 mile darting through some unspectacular side streets.  I do remember going by a park with a white statue but have no idea what it was for. 

   There was minimal fan support on the course but those out there were mostly enthusiastic.  I especially remember one enthusiastic guy cheering everyone on and waving a number 1 foam finger.  I also remember a couple people shouting "Go red white and blue".  I didn't realize my attire was patriotic until the fans told me!  Not sure about everyone else but fans cheering for us helps motivate me.  The music and people encouraging us on the loud speakers at the water stops were also very helpful and motivating.  Speaking of water stops, I felt there were plenty and they were positioned perfectly.

With about 2 miles to go, I knew if I pushed hard I could PR so I ran my butt off.  I remember one fellow running with me for the last mile and we pushed each other to the finish line.  Those last 2 miles were my fastest in the race!  The finish line was on the race track and the announcer called my name as I crossed.  When I heard my name and realized the PR had been reached, I threw my hands up in the air and celebrated.  They hung the well deserved finishers medal around my neck and I saw my Dad right away so I went to him for a victory hug.  That part was fantastic but I forgot to stop my Garmin so wasn't sure what my exact time was until they posted the times.  Here is a picture of me crossing the finish line.  The time above me is not my official time since my wave started about 40 seconds after the official time clock.



Other race review stuff:

Race expo:  There was none.  Packet pickup was at Sports Authority and was well organized.  Basically just pick up your packet and shop if you want something.  Included in the race packet were the race shirt, 2 tickets to Daytona 500 qualifying, race bib, an information letter, and map of the race course. 

Start time:  The race started right on time at 6am.  It was a little chilly at first but perfect running weather once we got going.

Bathrooms:  There were plenty at the start and finish but I didn't see too many on the race course.  Luckily I didn't need one during the run!

Photographers:  There were 8 pictures taken of me.  They were taken on the bridge and at the finish line.  I didn't buy any pictures but the finish line picture is pretty cool.

Finishers Medal:  Awesome colorful medal and neck ribbon! 

 
Race shirt:  Check out the picture below, I love the shirt and it fit perfectly.  My Dad is wearing the shirt they gave out for Lap the track participants.



After race area:  This area was fun.  There were several booths giving away freebies and there was plenty of junk food to eat (pizza, donuts, wings, bagels, beer, etc).  The only bad part was once you exited this area you could not get back in as they ripped a ticket from the race bib for entry.  We left to go meet my cousins and couldn't get back in.

Celebrating with Dad, Missy and Tim after the run.
Free beers to celebrate our success!

Ken and Karen made it under the time limit!!




Would I recommend this race?  Yes absolutely. 

What's next for me?  State number 6 has been conquered, 44 to go.  Next up for me is the Fargo half marathon in North Dakota on May 10th.  Wow, from Maui to Florida to Fargo.  Hopefully it warms up in Fargo by May!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

March 22, 2015 - Mercer Island Half Marathon