First 2015 Triathlon is 2 weeks from today!

I'm such a sucker.  One of my friends is doing the TriBoulder Sprint Triathlon on 26 July at the Boulder Reservoir.  He asked me to join him and I said "yes".  Uh oh, now I only have 2 weeks to get into some sort of triathlon shape.  What was I thinking?  We are talking 750M swim, 17.3 mile bike and 5K Run.  Sounds easy and I have no doubt about finishing but I also don't really want to embarrass myself by being last.  This will really change my goals over the next two weeks but I'm signed up so better get ready!

I guess the first thing to do now is set my expectations.  My mind says I am ready to do my best Triathlon ever.  My current level of physical fitness is laughing and says "You better rethink that"!  I need to use this race as a training race for "My Way or the Tri Way".  This will be my first race of 2015 and will be a good gauge of where I am and what is possible for my Tri next month.

This past week I was actually impressed with my accomplishments.  
  • Running:  3 runs of 3-4 miles.  Other than my Friday run, I had enough stamina to run the 5K distance.  Had a little problem breathing and with lower back pain but pushed through.  The foot did great!  On Wednesday I averaged 9:43 per mile so my pace is coming back.  This week I plan to do 3 runs of 3-4 miles.  My goal is to get my pace below 9:30 for at least one of the runs.
  • Biking:  2 ride of 16 miles where I pushed myself.  1 easy ride of 36.7 miles which included Lookout Mountain.  My pace was really slow on all the rides.  My quads and hamstrings are very weak and it was tough to push on hills.  Good news is my cadence on all 3 rides was over 50.  On the short rides it was over 55.  My goals for this week are 2 training rides and 1 easy long ride.  Try to get my cadence over 60 and to push and build some hill strength.  Would also like to get my speed over 16Mph on the short training rides.
  • Swim:  1 very show swim of about 30 minutes.  My pace was a horribly slow 2:25/100 yards.  I actually thought my pace was gonna be better and was disappointed when I saw the pace.  The good news is I had no problem swimming for 30 minutes.  My goals for this week are 2 swims, 1 open water and 1 pool swim.  The open water will be just to get in the wetsuit and swim for about 30 minutes.  The pool swim will be an attempt at increasing my speed.  I will swim 15 50's at maximum pace with 30 seconds rests in between.  On the speed working I would like to average below 2:10/100.

Here are my times from TriBoulder last year:
Swim: 17:21
T1: 2:38
Bike: 54:38
T2: 1:32
Run: 26:39
Total: 1:42:56

At this point I think I would be happy this year with:
Swim:  19:00  (slower by 1.5 minutes)
T1:  2:30
Bike: 55  (slightly slower.  I'm expecting the aero bars to help me this year)
T2: 1.30
Run: 28  (Slower by 1.5 mintes)
Total: 1:46:00

The goal seems aggressive and may not be attainable but it feels good right now!  Time for me to quit writing and do some training!  It feels good to have some goals and events to look forward to.

Comments

  1. Good luck on the tri, Bob!! 28 minute 5k ain't bad either, considering you've been off your feet for a while.

    And if it makes you feel any better, if I did this tri, you would finish way before me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I think I'm gonna lower my expectations a bit more. My quickest runs have been at a 9:42 pace so 28 minutes is a bit optimistic. Looking forward to hopefully see you soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 July 2016 - TriBoulder Olympic distance Triathlon

My 2016 totals and 2017 goals

15 September 2019 - Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City NJ